Sunday, November 8, 2015

WIP: Alaskan Brown Bear

Back in July of this year, I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Alaska. I wanted to see the Alaskan brown bears, so scheduled a trip to see them in Katmai National Park. I spent five incredible days with these bears at Hallo Bay. It was the trip of a lifetime. This painting is the first of many I'm sure that I will paint from this adventure. This bear is a young boar (male bear) that I witnessed kill a sow's cub. It was heartbreaking to see, but that's the harsh reality of nature. He didn't get to keep his kill, as a much bigger and older boar ran him off his kill. Shortly after, I photographed this guy crossing through some water. It was the shot I had been waiting for...a big boar in gorgeous early evening light, reflecting in water. I knew I would paint him. Here are a few pictures of the piece in progress. Click on the images to enlarge.


7 comments:

Caroline B said...

I am so jealous! I've been watching these bears for months via live cams on Explore.org and trying to paint pictures from snaps taken ove the internet. Wonderful painting, I can't wait to see what else you come up with as a result of your trip.

JBfromTX said...

Beautiful painting, Kelly. I also watch the Explore.org bear cams and hope to one day make it to Katmai.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Caroline and JB! It was an incredible experience to be amongst them. I hope that you will both make it to Katmai some day.

marc calvo said...

Its a beautiful Kodiak bear Kelly.

Rubby Jones said...

It seems it was gorgeous travel to Alaska. I can only imagine how cool it was to see this bear in real life. I saw them only at the zoo. Though my friend from www.stilusessaywriting.com traveled to Siberia and saw there a brown bear, too. He said it was a great moment. Also I'd like to say that your painting will be great when you finish it. I could never paint something so realistic so I'm really in love with your paintings.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Marc! This is not a Kodiak bear. This is an Alaskan brown bear. Kodiak's are much larger.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thank you Rubby. Yes, travelling through Alaska was gorgeous. It was the trip of a lifetime. Getting to see these bears up close in the wild was an experience I'll never forget!