Sunday, January 11, 2015

WIP: Update on Otter Painting

I'm slowly, but surely making progress on the otter painting. I knew going into this one that it would be a challenge...and it certainly has been. I like to push myself though, because I want to keep growing as an artist. This is essentially an abstract piece as the majority of the painting is moving water. At times, the ripples drive me mad, but most of the time I get into sort of a zone with the water. It's easy for me to lose myself in this one... I lose track of time and realize I have not eaten all day!

I'm being mindful of keeping the shapes of the ripples simplified. Even though they do not look very simplified, trust me they are! There's so much more information in my reference photo. I'm editing and refining the shapes as I go; deciding what stays in and what can be left out. I hope you are enjoying this piece so far...

WIP: Otter painting.
Click to enlarge.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hard to wait to see the final piece. I love it so far.

Caroline B said...

I know what you mean regarding the water, and it's working out beautifully. I love painting ripples but it can be dizzying!