Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bison Update

Slowly making progress on the bison painting. This is where I left off on it yesterday. I spent most of the day working on it refining the grasses mostly. There's A LOT of grass in this painting! I am trying to say "grass" without painting every single blade of it. I am squinting trying to find shapes in the grass (if that makes any sense) and then painting these shapes and only pulling out some highlighted ones. Seems to be working. So what's left to do? Well, I need to finish the foreground grasses, finish the hind portion of the bison, and the fun part - the water. I truly love to paint water! The next post will be the finished piece.
WIP - Click image to enlarge

4 comments:

Caroline B said...

Definitely worth the effort. I like painting grass!

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Caroline! The end is near with the grass, thank goodness!

marc calvo said...

Lovely picture progress Kelly,specially about the bright light tonalitys,i have pendent to improve the bright fur tonalitys of the animals that i paint, it helps to guive more realism in the pictures.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thank you Marc. Yes, I have improved the light on the fur of the bison; I agree it helps to give more realism and life to the painting.