Sunday, April 20, 2014

New WIP: Bison

Currently on my easel is this big fella. I love painting animals in or near water because I love painting water. So when I photographed this bison bull crossing this stream in Yellowstone I knew it would become a future painting. This painting will be completed in oils and measures 18x36. I started the painting by toning the panel down with a thinned acrylic burnt sienna. Then, I started loosely blocking the bison in with oils thinned with mineral spirits.

Here's a detail shot of the bison in the initial block-in phase. 
 
This is the whole painting blocked in and ready for detail. 
 
This is how the painting currently looks. Details have been added to the bison and work has started on the grasses.

6 comments:

marc calvo said...

Great picture of bison Kelly,express the great magesty of this bison!

Kelly Singleton said...

Thank you Marc, glad you are enjoying this one :)

hmuxo said...

Gorgeous painting....I love the progression of this piece.....it's been a pleasure visiting your blog!!

Guillermo García-Saúco S. said...

I just discovered your blog. This piece of artwork is astonshing. Congratulations!

Kelly Singleton said...

Thank you hmuxo! Come back soon to see the finished piece.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Guillermo! Appreciate it.