Sunday, November 17, 2013

New WIP: Moose Commission #2

Over the last few weeks I've been working on another moose painting in oil. This is the second of a pair that a collector of mine commissioned me to paint. The first piece was of a bull moose in a mountain setting which you can see here in an earlier post. For this piece, the collector wanted a cow moose and calf crossing water with a beaver lodge off in the distance. I have not blocked the lodge in yet, but you can see where I lightly pencilled it in on the right hand side of the piece just to the left of the clumps of grass lining the riverbank. I am working from many different references for this painting as this scene does not really exist. The collector had specific requests for the scenery so I had to compose the painting using parts of different references. I am also referring to different reference just for lighting. My main reference photo is in overcast conditions; however, my client wants a sunny day. It's been challenging to say the least, but I think it's coming along. Like the bull moose painting, this one measures 24x30.

Click image to enlarge


No comments: