Tuesday, August 21, 2012

New WIP: Great Blue Heron

Here we have the start of a new oil painting...a Great Blue Heron emerging from a dark background stalking prey on a marsh. I photographed this bird one early foggy morning at Blackwater Refuge on Maryland's eastern shore. I loosely sketched in the piece with a thinned mixture of cobalt blue, burnt umber, and black. This painting measures 14x18.

Click image to enlarge

This painting emerged on my easel after quickly realizing the piece I had started before this one was going to be a failure. It's frustrating to realize this after spending so much time on something. But, my gut was telling me I had to set it aside as it just was not looking as good as I had envisioned it. I did not want to waste any more time on it. I may revisit this painting again someday...or never! For now, it's condemned to the basement.