Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New WIP: Bighorn Ram

Here's the start of another new one. I started it as a demo piece as I volunteered to demo and help out with last weekend's Society of Animal Artists exhibit at the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art's, 42nd Ward World Championship Art Festival. This is a 9x12 oil of a bighorn ram I observed and photographed in Yellowstone earlier this year. The first image shows it at the very beginning...loosely roughed in with a thinned down burnt umber wash. The second image shows where I left off after the weekend. I managed to get quite a bit done despite the distraction of painting in public!

5 comments:

martinealison said...

Une nouvelle oeuvre en évolution qui est déjà bien en route... Elle promet d'être une autre merveilleuse peinture. Il me tarde de voir sa nouvelle progression.
gros bisous

Peter Brown said...

Kelly, I'm still working my way through painting subjects from a trip I took several years ago. Judging from your Yellowstone photographs, I imagine that could be the case for you too!

Kelly Singleton said...

Martine: Thank you!

Peter: Yes, I will definitely be painting from my reference for many years to come. That's not going to stop me from getting more however! We artists can never have enough reference.

Gabrielle said...

Thank you for your WIP posts! I find it so helpful to see how other artists develop their paintings.

As far as reference photos, I feel like I can never have enough either! My husband teases me whenever I take more photos of a subject that I've got dozens of photos of already.

Kelly Singleton said...

Gabrielle: You are most welcome. I'm glad you find the WIP posts useful. My hubby teases me as well about the numerous photos I take!