Saturday, January 7, 2012

New WIP: Downy Woodpecker

With news of a new show in the spring and another one pending, I decided I should try and crank out some smaller, affordable pieces. So, I started this 6x8 oil of a male downy woodpecker yesterday. I shot the reference outside my dining room window of this male downy feeding at one of the suet cages I have setup. He would grab some and quickly look around to make sure no predators were about. Wise, as there's several sharpshinned hawks that frequent the neighborhood. In my reference, he had suet all caked on his bill, but I used artistic license and cleaned his bill up!
Click image to enlarge.

4 comments:

Jill Iversen said...

Love it! You are such a good painter.

Bella said...

I like the fact you have done what a mother would do a metaphorically cleaned this bird's face before his picture.

It is interesting to hear you are planning on some more affordable pieces. Do you find people's buying power had shrunk over the last few years? I do here in the south west of England.

Kelly Singleton said...

Jill: Thank you :)

Bella: Funny, I guess I did pretty him up for his picture huh?

To answer your question...it's interesting, in general it does seem like people are not buying much art with the economy being so bad. At shows I've setup at, there's been alot of tire-kicking, more so then I've noticed in the past. But, then again, I personally had one of my better years selling art. I think it's just best to have a variety of sizes and price points so you can appeal to more collectors.

Gabrielle said...

I know this is a work in progress and will change and evolve still, but I have to say I love the background color currently. I'm curious to see what the final background will look like. The woodpecker itself is wonderful; completely identifiable but painterly. Downies are one of my favorite feeder birds anyway. Congrats on some more shows!