Saturday, July 30, 2011

New WIP: Barred Owl in Oil

I started work yesterday on a small 8x10 portrait of a barred owl. As many of you know, I love owls and they are one of my favorite subjects to paint. This is my first time painting an owl with oils. My past owls were painted with watercolors or acrylics. I didn't make a whole lot of progress yesterday, surprising as I worked on it quite a long time! I know I was carefully painting this. I started working on the eyes first and have been radiating outwards from them.

Click on images to enlarge.



3 comments:

Jill Iversen said...

Beautiful already!

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

We also have barred owls here in Botswana, as well a a pearl spotted owl which is very similar in size ,they make a lovely whistling sound ,I have looked after a couple of injured ones in the past,but unfortunately have not had success in helping them.This painting reminds me of them!

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Jill and Roger!