Monday, July 5, 2010

New WIP: Red-Tailed Hawk Watercolor

I decided to take a little break from the bison oil painting. I've been longing to paint a watercolor so I started this small watercolor of a Red-tailed Hawk today. It will measure 6 x 8 inches when finished. Not a whole lot to see yet. I laid in the drippy background first using a combo of colors (some purple, viridian green, burnt sienna, cobalt blue, and some dark brown). Next, I went straight for the hawk's eye. On portraits like this I always like to paint the subject's eyes first. I like to bring a sense of "life" to the subject right away. I then gravitated out to the bird's head and beak loosely laying in the first layers of color.

1 comment:

martinealison said...

Hi,
Merci de nous montrer l'évolution de votre travail... je suis certaine que cette peinture sera magnifique, votre buse a ce regard puissant qu'ont les rapaces... Amicalement