Thursday, January 28, 2010

Finished - Hornbill Watercolor

Finally, my hornbill is finished! It's actually been done for a few weeks now, but I just picked it up from the place that scans my work today. When I went there this morning, an older couple was there just prior to me picking up their work. The outspoken wife of the artist turned around and asked me if I was the one that did that "big, ugly bird". Some rather nasty comebacks ran through my head, but I kept them to myself. I just responded with a yes, knowing she was referring to the hornbill. When the couple left, she walked by me and said, "It's sure an ugly bird...but it is beautifully painted." Well, I do understand that this bird isn't considered attractive to most people. I however, do find beauty in creatures such as the hornbill. I got lost in the wonderful details of this bird...from the furrows in its skin, the gnarled textures of its beak, and of course the eye and those lovely long lashes! At the large size I painted it, it was almost like painting terrain in a landscape. It was my hope that painting the hornbill as large as I did would make viewers take notice of this bird that I do find interesting and yes...beautiful.

9 comments:

Peter Brown said...

Kelly, that's anything but ugly. Fabulous painting - Birds in Art for sure!

Scott D. Tillett said...

Hi Kelly,

Beautiful work. I agree with you. Beauty can be found in the most unlikely of places. Looking forward to your next post.

Jim Bortz said...

Wow, Kelly! This is truly outstanding. Of all your work, this is by far my favorite :)

Clive Meredith said...

i have to agree with jim on this one kelly,i too think its my fave of yours.the strong sunlight has brought out all the wonderful textures here and i love the eyelash shadows :-))

Kelly Singleton said...

Peter - Thank you, that's very nice to hear! We'll just have to see about BIA...

Scott - Thanks, nice to hear that someone else shares my feelings :)

Jim - I'm flattered, thank you!

Clive - Again, I'm flattered! Thanks so much.

Carel Brest van Kempen said...

Speaking as a confirmed hornbill fanatic, I'd like to add my own kudos to the consensus. Those eyelashes are important elements of a Leadbeater's' look, and painting their shadows stretched out along the bill was a great idea.

Kelly Singleton said...

Carel - Thank you! Hornbills are fascinating birds. I'm so glad you like it.

Julia Ruffles | wildlife animal artist said...

I absolutely adore this painting, the colour palette is divine, I could look at it all day!:) Jules

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks so much Julia :)