Thursday, December 3, 2009

New WIP - Southern Ground Hornbill

This is my latest on the easel. It is a watercolor of a Southern ground hornbill that I photographed at the Philadelphia Zoo. These are the largest species of hornbills and they hail from Southern Africa. I am depicting the bird larger-than-life on a full sheet of Strathmore 300 lb. paper. I thought it would be fun to paint this bird with all its wonderful details up close and personal: the wrinkles of its skin patches, the long eyelashes, and all the lovely worn textures on its beak. What character this bird has! This is my progress so far:


9 comments:

Clive Meredith said...

looking great thus far kelly,you've really caught the great textures on the bill and facial wattling.they are the oddest looking birds but have wonderful faces with such character.

From The Studio Floor said...

I love it as it is, Fantastic so far

From The Studio Floor said...

I forgot to mention, The eyelash shadows are amazing!!

Gary Keimig said...

Is looking good. A great idea and undertaking to go for such a size. What better way to present this great bird though.

Kelly Singleton said...

Clive: Thank you. Yes, they are odd-looking but I agree they have so much character!

Matthew: You're so very kind - thanks! When choosing this image to paint, those eyelash shadows were one of the things that appealed to me. I thought it was so cool how they cast a long shadow across the beak.

Gary: Thank you - I hope by doing it this size that viewers will appreciate the details that I find so lovely in this bird. They may not be considered beautiful to some, but I think they are.

wildlifeart said...

You know what I really like it as it is already!!!

But waiting for the next pregress shot too :)

Kelly Singleton said...

Jason, so glad you're liking it so far. Stay tuned for the next progress shot...it's slow going at the moment!

Sandy Maudlin said...

INCREDIBLEY beautiful watercolor! So glad I found your blog. I'll be back.

Kelly Singleton said...

Sandy,
Thank you for the kind comment and welcome to my blog!