Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hornbill Continued...and a Visitor

Here's what the hornbill looks like this morning as it sits on my desk. I finished up the skin around the throat area last night so I'm all done with the wrinkly skin...YAY! Now I can move on to the feathers. There's still some more work to be done on the bill as well.




I love painting birds and animals in snow. After the beautiful snowfall we had here in MD the other day, I could not resist snapping some photos of songbirds right outside my kitchen window. Perhaps they will end up in some future paintings. A couple of my cardinal paintings were done from reference taken right from my kitchen window. After shooting many photos, and I was about to call it quits, the birds scattered all of the sudden and I knew one of our resident hawks must be nearby. Sure enough, a young Cooper's hawk flew into one of our azalea bushes after a bird. He came up empty (poor thing) and then perched atop the birdfeeder for a few minutes shaking his tail. I snapped away! What a beautiful bird. I will definitely paint a study of him. Raptors will always hold my fascination.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Fabulous, fabulous painting so far. Th detail is superb.

And what a lucky catch at the feeder with this hawk. They are beautiful creatures, even if other birds don't think so. :)

Gary Keimig said...

this is really coming along. Very well handled. Love your Coopers. Watched one ambush and catch an English Sparrow once. was an incredible ambush and especially seeing it from take off to its final destination. For some reason these hawks [at least around here seem to have a taste for Downey Woodpeckers. Everytime we have one here along the river it dissapears and I often find remains somewhere along the river. It seems to always occur when a Coopers is around too.

Peter Brown said...

Wow Kelly! You're set to end the year on a spectacular note - your hornbill is outstanding.

Kelly Singleton said...

Jeanette: Thank you! Yes, I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get the shots of the Cooper's. I've seen them land on the feeder (or nearby) on several occasions without my camera being handy. It always seems to be upstairs when I need it most. All too many times I've raced up those steps!

Gary: Nice to hear you are enjoying this one. Thanks! Around here, the Cooper's seem to like sparrows, but I'm sure they are not partial!

Peter: Thank you for the kind comment. I sure wish I could finish this one by the end of the year, but I suspect it will be my first painting of 2010!