Monday, November 2, 2009

Update on Osprey Painting

Sorry for the late update on this piece. We finally had some sunshine today, so I was able to take a photo of it outside. Since the last post, I've been building up layers of colors, texture, and detail all over the painting. I've been experimenting with a palette knife on the osprey; I really like the textural effects it created on the body of the bird. I think I will add a little of this texture to the stump as well. I'm debating sawing off an inch or so from the top of the painting; I think the composition will look better with the osprey a little closer to the top. What do you think?

Here's what it looks like as of yesterday:

6 comments:

Peter Brown said...

Kelly, sounds like you're having fun with this one.

I photoshopped the top off your image and it still looked good!

Erik said...

I love the red peaking through in places. Removing a bit from the top will make the image even stronger I agree.

Carol Andre' said...

I'm not going to comment on the removal- I don't feel competant enough to do that- but I like what you've done thus far and seeing the under colors coming through. I also envy you that fabulous shot you got of that bald eagle at Blackwater. Wow, great pic. I thought you might be at the Waterfowl Festival now.

Usha said...

I consider them as marvels of human creativity
Keep it up kelly. All the best!
Usha

Kelly Singleton said...

Peter, Erik: Thanks for the input; I am going to cut some away from the top.

Carol: Glad you are liking it so far! That shot I took of the eagle was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The Waterfowl Festival is next weekend.

Usha: Thanks!

Gary Keimig said...

very nice. Kelly. I agree a little cropping on top will work great.