Monday, October 19, 2009

New WIP - Osprey Oil Painting

Well, here is finally an image of what I've been working on these days, an osprey with his catch in oil. This is the largest painting I've ever worked on at 16 x 36. I observed this osprey back in the spring at the Blackwater NWR in Maryland. This male was part of a pair that was nesting on the refuge. I watched him diligently bring fish to his mate. This time, he was saving this one for himself. I photographed him after tearing the head off the fish and flying in to land on the old stump sticking out of the water; a nice spot to eat his fish.

Don't be alarmed by the red...it is just primer. I've experimented from time to time with red primer after a workshop I took many years ago with then local artist Caroline Jasper. I believe she has since moved to Florida. She always starts her paintings with bright red canvas. The red underneath makes the colors seem more vibrant and creates neat visual effects when some of the red is left to peek through. I thought the red underpainting may work well for this piece, since I want this piece to be warm and vibrant.

4 comments:

Sally McLean said...

This already looks fantastic with the red underpainting showing. Can't wait to see it develop.

Erik said...

I agree with Sally, this is looking great already. Will keep an eye on this!

prashant said...

looks fantastic with the red underpainting showing. Can't wait to see it develop. Work From Home

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks everyone!