Monday, June 22, 2009

New WIP - Red-legged Honeycreeper Oil Painting

Here's the start of my latest painting - a male red-legged honeycreeper. This piece will measure 12 x 6. These small birds are members of the tanager family. Males are a brilliant violet-blue with turquoise crowns and the females are green. I'm using reference from my incredible trip last year to Trinidad. The Society of Animal Artists awarded me with the Don Eckelberry Scholarship Award allowing me to travel to the Asa Wright Nature Center to observe first-hand the many beautiful birds found there. It was truly a bird lover's paradise! I'm so thankful to the SAA for awarding me with this wonderful experience. I hope to return again someday. I feel somewhat guilty that I am just now getting the chance to finally do some paintings inspired from that trip, but other painting commitments just kept me from starting. Better late than never I guess. I'm experimenting with loose brushwork in the background leaves while keeping the bird in tight detail. Please let me know what you think in the comments.

3 comments:

Clive Meredith said...

nice format and pose,as for your background you'll probably only know how successful it's been once the bird is fully complete.but looking great so far :)

Gary Keimig said...

So far it is looking great. I like your composition and coloring and your idea of how you are going to handle it.

Kelly Singleton said...

Clive, Gary:
Thanks for commenting. Glad you are liking it so far. I finished it yesterday. Will post the finished work after it dries and I get a decent photo of it.