Monday, June 8, 2009

New WIP - Black Wolf Oil Painting

This is just a little something I started this past weekend. I had a 5 x 7 gallery wrap canvas laying around and decided to play around with oils on it. It was great fun to paint fur for a change! I painted 3 back-to-back bird paintings before this so it was a much-needed break. It was also nice to just loosen up and experiment. I like some of the effects going on with this one. My hope is that I don't blow the spontaneity and add too much detail.

This is Saturday's work...


...and this is Sunday's work. I used an old credit card to scratch out some hairs from the wet paint. It's hard to tell from this photo, but there is alot more colors in the blacks.

4 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

It is coming along great. I like how you are using so much color in this piece. Was out tuesday hoping to find one of these critters. Had been seeing lots of tracks in Bear Creek canyon last fall and was hoping they would den up somewhere around. Nothing-but did run into a grizzly[my blog]

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Gary, I've been playing around with punching my colors up a bit. It's been a fun little painting. Hope to do more like this. I read your blog entry about the bear encounter. Glad to hear you made it back safely! You really have to be aware out there! You're so fortunate to live in Dubois near all that beautiful wilderness. I love it there. I've been out there 3 times while at the SKB workshops. The last time I was out there, I heard of a grizzly being in the area where some artists went plein air painting.

M.Kilby said...

Hi there,

I know this is a few years old, but stumbling across it I must say this is absolutely beautiful, if you ever did more of these, any chance of the wolf in a sitting/ facing forward position?

Kelly Singleton said...

M. Kilby: Thank you! Did you happen to see this black wolf I did recently... http://www.kellysingleton.com/BlackWolfStudy.html
This one's still available.