Tuesday, May 19, 2009

WIP - Screech Owl Commission

Here is the progress so far on my second owl commission. This one is of a red phase eastern screech owl in a pine. Like the first one - High Roost, this one measures 7x5 inches and is being painted in acrylics. Right now, it's just in the blocking-in phase, not alot of detail yet with the exception of the eyes. They are almost near completion. I gravitate to the eyes first on most paintings, but especially so with these portrait type pieces. When I am painting an up-close intimate view of a bird or animal it's critical for me to get the eyes right before I can move on in the piece. So much of what these pieces are about are capturing the subject's soul, personality, and spirit through their eyes.

4 comments:

Johnny said...

Kelly, I'm loving this already! It's gonna be a beauty.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks Johnny!

Carol Andre' said...

Kelly- Love your owls. I'm waiting for Heidi K. (SKB, 2006) to arrive and we'll be off to the zoo! :-) Wish you could join us!
Carol

Kelly Singleton said...

Carol - thank you, I do enjoy my owls! Say hello to Heidi for me and I hope you gals have fun. Don't get into too much trouble ;)