Sunday, April 12, 2009

New WIP - Great Horned Owl portrait

This weekend, I started work on a private commission of a great horned owl. This is one of two owl portraits that my client is commissioning me to paint. The other owl portrait will be of a red phase eastern screech owl. They will both be 7 x 5 inches in acrylic. I started this piece by priming a Ampersand panel in a medium grey tone. I then transferred my sketch onto the panel. The painting began with the eyes and I radiated out to the facial disks. I'm loosely blocking in colors at this point and building up details as I go. The client requested that a lodgepole pine be included in the painting which you can see the start of on the left.
Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Johnny said...

Kelly this looking great! One of my favorite birds.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thanks John! This is one of my favorite birds as well. I love painting them. They are so fierce-looking!