Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Last month & New WIP - Kestrel watercolor

It has been awhile since my last post. Last month was a busy one for me with back-to-back trips. A few weeks back, I exhibited at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (SEWE) in Charleston, SC. It was great to see some of my friends again and to meet with the attendees. Despite the poor economy, many still added to their collections. My thanks to all of you who stopped by to look at my work.

Earlier in the month, I ventured to Kalispell, MT for Julie Chapman's winter artist workshop & artist reference photo shoot at Triple D Game Farm. What a great time that was! Montana was absolutely beautiful in the snow. We photographed gorgeous red foxes, cougars, coyotes, grizzly, snow leopard, Siberian lynx, and a Siberian tiger. With the exception of one day, we had beautiful light to shoot in. I love painting snow scenes. I have plenty of new material to work from now and I'm newly inspired!

Speaking of snow scenes...here's what I've been hard at work on. It's actually an ice scene, but close enough! I started this watercolor painting a couple of years ago and for various reasons, had to put it aside to work on other paintings. With renewed interest in this piece, I've decided to finally finish this painting. This is a scene I came upon while hiking through a nearby park one winter day. I liked the zigzag shape of the grasses jutting through the ice and I thought the driftwood would make an excellent perch for a kestrel. Obviously, the kestrel is not in the painting yet but I know exactly where he will be - on the highest limb scanning his surroundings for a morsel.

Detail of grasses & twigs jutting out of the ice.

Detail of driftwood.

Another detail of driftwood.

6 comments:

Tracey Clarke said...

Kelly, this is beautiful. I look forward to seeing it when you are done.

Wes and Rachelle Siegrist said...

This is going to really be nice Kelly. That green water in the composition should make the Kestrel really pop out!

Chris said...

That's an incredible start! Wow! Such detail.

Kelly Singleton said...

Tracey: Thank you! And I'm looking forward to finishing this one!

Wes & Rachelle: Thank you! Yes, I do hope the kestrel pops against the green water. I'm saving the kestrel for near the end of the painting - my "dessert" if you will after finishing all those complicated grasses/twigs. It was nice seeing you both again at SEWE.

Chris: Thank you! I'll keep plugging away at it...

Peter Brown said...

Kelly, I can't wait to see the finished product - please hurry up and finish it!

Kelly Singleton said...

Peter: Thanks for stopping by. I am hurrying as quickly as I can! I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this month. I'll be posting another progress shot soon.