Sunday, November 2, 2008

Back from AZ and new painting

I'm back from sunny and warm Arizona...it was in the mid 90's the whole time. I had a really fun time hanging out with my artist friends Joni and Sandra and I had an enjoyable workshop with Greg Beecham. We spent two days (one day before the workshop and one day after) at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. What a wonderful place for a wildlife artist to get reference. I especially enjoyed the raptor free flights. During this program, we got to watch a barn owl, a raven, a ferruginous hawk and a family of Harris hawks fly free over the open desert. It was a thrilling experience to see these powerful birds in flight up close. I got some great shots that I am anxious to paint, especially one in particular of a Harris hawk. Stay tuned!

I learned alot in Greg's workshop and I am excited to get to work on some new oil paintings. My in-class painting got off to a shaky start...I was worrying too much about details, falling back on my old habits...but with Greg's help, I decided to just let loose and have fun with it. It's different from my usual work, but I like it. Here is the end result. By the way, the painting is of my handsome Boxer boy, Max :) I'd love to hear your comments on this one...

4 comments:

Carol Lambert said...

This painting shows that you stayed with the big picture successfully! It has a liveliness and presence that might not be there if it was a more detailed piece. What a soulful guy!

Adrienne said...

I am so proud of you! I know how hard this had to have been. I agree with Carol, the painting exhibits an emotion and has feeling, very nice. I can't wait to see what you do next.

Kelly Singleton said...

Thank you Carol and Adrienne! So glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

Love this one! He looks so cute! Need to send us some pics soon!

Paulette & Mike