Saturday, September 13, 2008

Start of new work - Mufasa the lion

Here's the start of a new work - a lion portrait in soft pastel. I'm painting it on a sand-colored Ampersand Pastelbord. It measures 12 x 17 1/2. I'm using a combination of Unison and Sennelier pastels along with Faber-Castell pastel pencils for the more detailed areas. This lion is named Mufasa; he is a Barbary lion. Mufasa lives at Animals of Montana. I have painted Mufasa before in this painting that I did a few years ago. I took so many wonderful reference photos of him...he is a most photogenic fellow with the awesomest mane. He is probably the most beautiful cat I've ever seen and for that reason alone I am inspired to paint him. I've been wanting to use the reference photo that you see clipped to the side of the painting for some time now. I think it's a great photo of him licking his chops. I attempted to paint this same piece in oil once several years ago, but it was a failed attempt. So, here's hoping that this one turns out to my liking!


2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Kelly, this looks amazing so far... don't think it will be a failed attempt... unlike my stinking cow. You are truely talented. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Kelly Singleton said...

Adrienne, thank you! I look forward to seeing your finished piece as well...now, get to work on that moo cow and quit getting distracted!