Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Welcome

I have finally decided to take the plunge and start my blog. It's my hope that this blog will keep my friends, family, collectors, (and anyone else that may be interested) up-to-date on what's going on in my artist life. I am going to try and post my paintings in progress as they go through their ugly stages all the way to completion...that is, if they don't hit the trashcan first! So, for my first work in progress... This is a little 10"x10" oil painting of a calf that I started recently. If it turns out well, I hope to enter it in the Mountain Oyster Club Art Show in AZ. Those that know me, know that I typically don't paint domestic animals very often, but this calf was a handsome character worthy of painting.

I started off toning the canvas with an acrylic underpainting of burnt sienna & burnt umber. I then added a thin coat of retouch varnish to the canvas to bring back some gloss.

Starting to work in oil now, working from top to bottom.

No comments: